Navigation

Home

About

Madison's Past

Publications

Public Programs

Historical Research

Links

FAQ

Order Form

Site Map

facebook.jpg

only search HMI

Doty School

Doty School (1906)

Wisconsin Historical Society Image ID: WHi-70381

1906 Landmarks

In the first half of 1906, there was significant change to the Madison landscape, and many buildings were erected that remain with us today. 

Claude & Starck announced plans to build a residence for A. Kroncke at the corner of Wilson and Bassett streets for $7,000, the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority house on Irving Place for $10,000, and a warehouse for Wiedenbeck and Dobelin near the Illinois Central depot for $10,000.

The Wisconsin State Journal noted on January 12 that construction of the mammoth $200,000 UW heating plant on University Avenue would soon start.
In spring workers began dredging Lake Monona Bay to create Brittingham Park, and finished pumping sand from Lake Wingra to complete the addition to Vilas Park.
In March the machinery block recently built by Alex Gill & Company at the corner of Williamson and Blair (now known as Machinery Row) was being painted. Charles N. Brown was building a modern flat (The Hamilton) at the corner of North Hamilton and East Johnson.

In April work on the Cantwell Printing Block at the corner of South Pinckney and Doty streets started. On the 18th the old Fourth Ward school on West Wilson Street was being torn down so a new building (now the Doty School condominiums) could be erected. Children were attending school in the Silbernagle planing mill on West Main Street.
In May the contract to erect the Woman’s Building was open to bid. The Highland Park subdivision, bounded by University Avenue, Regent Street, Highland Avenue, and Farley Avenue, was opened. Contracts were let to build an $8,000 double flat for George Breitenbach on the site of Governor Farwell’s mansion midway between Paterson and Brearly streets. Louis Haak was erecting a double flat for rent at the corner of the same property. Schuetzen Park along the shore of Lake Monona was sold for $29,156 to Robert Niemann and was to be platted. The sugar factory at Fair Oaks was nearly complete. Ground was broken for the new Madison high school on West Dayton Street. Claude & Starck began work on the People’s Theatre (later renamed the Majestic) of Edward and Otto Breitenbach on the south side of King Street.

In June Frederick Kehl announced plans to erect a dance hall and bowling alley on East Mifflin (now the Bartell Theater) for $15,000. The first floor was to have three stores – candy, cigar, and flower, and a bowling alley with a gallery for 150 spectators. The second floor would have dressing rooms and a large dance hall, and would probably be used part of the time as a skating rink.

In June the Confederate monument was placed at Confederate Rest in Forest Hill Cemetery by the Daughters of the Confederacy.

Mark Gajewski